[CentOS] Where is the kernel source code???

lnthai2002 at aim.com lnthai2002 at aim.com
Sun Dec 18 23:37:42 UTC 2005

-----Original Message-----
From: Steve Huff <shuff at vecna.org>
Sent: Sun, 18 Dec 2005 18:18:23 -0500
Subject: Re: [CentOS] Where is the kernel source code???

  On Dec 18, 2005, at 3:41 PM, Jim Perrin wrote:

 > Long complicated answer: you'd need to get the src rpm, edit the
 > .config used to add support for the driver, rebuild the rpm.... etc.

  this is not quite correct; rather that messing with the kernel SRPM,
you should also be able to pull down the kernel-source RPM:

 yum -y install kernel-source

  this will create /usr/src/linux-<kernel version>, which contains the
kernel source.

  this doc is old, but you may be able to compile a custom kernel using
a similar procedure:

http://www.redhat.com/docs/manuals/linux/RHL-9-Manual/custom-guide/s1-cus
tom-kernel-modularized.html

  but i'd add my voice to those recommending that you NOT compile you
own kernel, and instead use the centosplus kernel, especially if it
contains the module(s) you need.

 -steve

 ---
  If this were played upon a stage now, I could condemn it as an
improbable fiction. - Fabian, Twelfth Night, III,v

How do i know that the centOSplus kernel has support for my device(in
my case bt848 capture device). I must see the config file right? But
rpm doesnt put that config file into /boot
Thanks, guys
NHUT THAI LE