[CentOS] Hlp with server load

Chris Mason (Lists) lists at masonc.com
Mon Dec 19 21:04:00 UTC 2005

>Have you tried running top to see which processes are ready to run?

Yes, top is not showing me any real informaiton and the server is
responsive, but the MTA shuts down because it sees such high load. It
seems to be fake load, locked up processes. I see a lot of vsftpd
processes using ps -x and I cannot kill them. It's very strange. I have
several dedicated servers that get hammered all day but I have never
seen this before. Even shuting down httpd and mysql does not make any
difference, even though they should be the main load.
I ahve recently installed MailScanner which usually increases the load
tremendously, but I did not see sendmail as the problem, even when I
shut down MailScanner, there were no sendmail processes remaining and
the load kept climbing. The fact that the server is still responsive is
very curious,at 23 it should be very sluggish.

--
Chris Mason
NetConcepts
Yahoo IM: netconcepts_anguilla at yahoo.com