[CentOS] Install from a USB CDrom?

Robert Moskowitz rgm at htt-consult.com
Wed Dec 21 16:01:45 UTC 2005

At 10:16 AM 12/21/2005, Les Mikesell wrote:
>On Wed, 2005-12-21 at 08:18, Robert Moskowitz wrote:
> > I do have a USB 2.5" drive case that I can put a drive in with the
> > CDs on, but is it worth the effort?  Will the install recognize that?
> >
> > Does anyone know were to point me to info on how to get the install
> > to get things like PCMCIA and USB drivers installed initially?
>
>If you have another box available, it is probably easier to
>to an NFS install than to deal with hardware the install
>kernel doesn't handle.  If you download the iso images to
>a directory that is NFS exported, then boot the pc in question
>with the first CD and type 'linux askmethod' at the boot
>prompt, you can do the rest of the install over the network.

That ASSuMEs that you have a network card that does not require
either PCMCIA or USB!

What I guess I am headed for is how to set up a hard drive that will
be 'prepartitiones'?  And the stuff sitting on a partition on the end
I can afford to 'loose' (4Gb worth?).

But USB would be nice!

>It also saves burning and swapping in the other CD's so
>it is nicer even if you don't have a problem with the CD
>drive.

I already have those CDs.