[CentOS] (?) Dangling ssh-agent processes with GNOME

Alexander Dalloz ad+lists at uni-x.org
Wed Dec 21 21:01:24 UTC 2005

Am Mi, den 21.12.2005 schrieb Jay Leafey um 20:17:

> I recently noticed a LOT of ssh-agent processes running on my system (CentOS 4.2).  It seems that the ssh-agent gets started before
> the session manager (in /etc/X11/xinit/xinitrc-common) which is great.  The only problem is that the agent process does not die when
> the session shuts down.
>
> I run ssh-add in my session startup to get my key loaded into ssh-agent, so that might be part of the issue.

That is the cause of what you describe.

>   I just haven't been
> able to figure out where to kill the beast.  Is there somewhere I can run an arbitrary program when the session manager runs down?
> A medium-intensity search of the docs and sourcecode didn't turn up anything applicable.  Plenty of ways to run programs at session
> START, but not at the end.  Anybody got any ideas?

Use "keychain" for more flexibility in loading and handling ssh keys
with ssh-agent.

http://centos.karan.org/el4/extras/stable/i386/RPMS/repodata/repoview/keychain-0-2.5.5-2.el4.kb.html

Alexander

Serendipity 21:58:31 up 17 days, 2:35, load average: 0.20, 0.17, 0.09