[CentOS] (?) Dangling ssh-agent processes with GNOME

Jay Leafey jay.leafey at mindless.com
Thu Dec 22 01:47:13 UTC 2005

Alexander Dalloz wrote:

> Use "keychain" for more flexibility in loading and handling ssh keys
> with ssh-agent.
>
> http://centos.karan.org/el4/extras/stable/i386/RPMS/repodata/repoview/keychain-0-2.5.5-2.el4.kb.html

Thanks for the suggestion, but I looked at keychain and thought it was overkill for my setup.  Anyway, I really didn't WANT a
long-running copy of ssh-agent.  I tried deleting the ssh-add entry in my session startup preferences, but the ssh-agent process
still does not go away at logout.

Just on a mad whim, I commented out the bit that runs ssh-agent in a subprocess from xinitrc-common, then altered my
.Xclients-default to use ssh-agent to run the window manager instead of a plain old 'exec'.  This is a kludge, but it DOES properly
terminate the ssh-agent process when you log out of the session manager.  It also seems a bit slower, but that's purely subjective.

I'd REALLY rather use it the way the upstream provider documented it, but it doesn't appear to work that way.  Guess it's time to
open a ticket with Red Hat... all I have to do is confirm the same behaviour on one of my RHEL4 systems.
--
Jay Leafey - Memphis, TN
jay.leafey at mindless.com