[CentOS] Multiple program instances or multiple log ins?

Craig White craigwhite at azapple.com
Tue Dec 27 19:21:41 UTC 2005

On Tue, 2005-12-27 at 14:14 -0500, Robert Moskowitz wrote:
> This all comes out of figuring out how I might run Evolution like I run Eudora.
>
> I see where Evolution places its data in a hidden directory: ~/.evolution
>
> Now why it is felt necessary to put all of this stuff in hidden
> directories is beyond me.
>
> So it would seem that Evolution is treating each useid as a
> personality for the logged in user.
>
> Given the way Evolution organizes its data, I could create some more
> Linux users, and either:
>
> Give my main user file permissions to them and somehow run copies of
> Evolution using those /home/user directories.  Anyone know how to do that?
>
> Or do I somehow have to have multiple simultaneous logins? And switch
> between them?  I know there is a way to have 4 desktops....
----
it's not entirely clear what you are trying to actually accomplish.

Evolution probably is only going to support one instance per user. You
can have as many IMAP/POP accounts as you want. You can use filters to
direct mail from the various accounts into separate mail folders and
even direct mail sent by the different accounts to put the sent copies
into their own folders.

As for why evolution puts its files in hidden directories is because
that is pretty much the gnome way and evolution is very much a gnome
application.

Craig