[CentOS] App add/delete and changing from CD install to LAN

Robert Moskowitz rgm at htt-consult.com
Wed Dec 28 16:58:14 UTC 2005

At 10:20 AM 12/28/2005, Johnny Hughes wrote:

>BTW, I know not having a GUI installer is a PITA ...

This is NOT 1984 anymore.  :-D   We are SPOILED.  (of course I still
run NET USE and XCOPY from a command window.)

>We are looking at some yum GUI front ends like yumex (which seems to be
>the best we have checked so far).  The only problem I have with yumex so
>far is that it doesn't work with the yum plugins (at least it did not
>work with protectbase).
>
>The above linked guide will get you using "yum provides", "yum info
>xxxxx", "yum search xxxxx" and "yum list xxxxx" so that not having a GUI
>is at least bearable.

Knowledge is a dangerous thing....

Given all that yum claims why is RPM still used so much?

 From what I read here, if there is a package I want that is not in a
yum repository like Scalix CE, I would download the rpm, then use yum
with that rpm file.  That way I would take care of any dependencies
needed by Scalix.

If there was an update to a package not in the yum repository, I
would download said package and again use you.