[CentOS] Opteron, Athlon/64, and disaster recovery

Bryan J. Smith thebs413 at earthlink.net
Wed Dec 28 22:37:56 UTC 2005

Benjamin Smith <lists at benjamindsmith.com> wrote:
> Now, we're moving to Opteron-based servers, and I just was
> wondering if it's reasonable to expect that, in a
worst-case
> scenario, we could get an Athlon/64 system locally, and
have
> it work, even if not optimally.

Yes, Athlon 64 and Opteron are virtually identical from that
standpoint.  The only issues you'd have are
chipset/peripheral, just like any other change.

> Just checking the accuracy of the data behind my decisions.
> (I've turned down Xeon servers for this reason)

Yes, there is less difference between Opteron and Athlon 64
than Xeon and Pentium 4.

-- Bryan

P.S.  Any reason you don't keep around a spare Socket-754
Sempron 64 system then?  I mean, they are _dirt_cheap_ (like
$300 for case/MB/CPU/memory).

--
Bryan J. Smith     Professional, Technical Annoyance                      b.j.smith at ieee.org      http://thebs413.blogspot.com