[CentOS] Remote print problem -- LPD, IPP and other standard printer ports

Bryan J. Smith thebs413 at earthlink.net
Thu Dec 29 17:21:14 UTC 2005

On Thu, 2005-12-29 at 09:13 -0800, Todd Cary wrote:
> Problem solved!
> It was the damn M$ Firewall on my wife's computer!  Yes, allow
> Printing and Fax was checked in the Exceptions, but for some unknown
> reason it did not allow the printing to go through.

LPD is probably not be considered "printing" from the standpoint of MS.
Not sure IPP is either -- have to check.

> Turned off the Firewall and the spooled pages came flying out!
> Even though I know just enough to keep my Linux servers running
> (actually, once they are up I am able forget them until we lose power
> - then I need to power them back on :-) ), I know that somewhere in
> there is an answer.  Not so with Windows.
> Thank you for trying to help with this....

Just allow 515/tcp and 515/udp through for LPD, and 631/tcp and 631/udp
for IPP.  This is not difficult to do at all for XPSP2's firewall.

-- Bryan

P.S.  Also note, SMB changes whether you use the [not-so] encrypted RPC
(port 445) or not (various ports).

Bryan J. Smith   mailto:b.j.smith at ieee.org
http://thebs413.blogspot.com