[CentOS] Top Posting

Thu Dec 29 20:17:06 UTC 2005

On Thu, 2005-12-29 at 14:46 -0500, Robert Tate wrote:
> The problem with bottom posting is that a lot (most) people don't pay
> any attention to the 4th line of you link you point to below. We have
> to scroll through page after page of old postings to get the new
> information. I'm quoting that line below (the bold is mine):

Right ... but here is the deal.  MOST people who use mailing lists (and
not just e-mail with MS Outlook :) want to read from the top of the page
to the bottom (like a book).

> "In addition to bottom-posting, it is customary to leave out non-
> relevant parts of the message with regard to the reply, and to put the
> reply directly beneath the quoted relevant parts."

When post in the relevant places, you don't have to move to the top and
the bottom of the e-mail to see the other things that post pertains
too ... the entire message flows from top to bottom. (Exactly the way
you would expect any document too)

ALSO IMPORTANT ... don't post to the mailing list with HTML enabled in
the posts ... this screws up the web enabled archives .... and causes
people who read their e-mail as text (orc_orc comes to mind :) to not be
able to read the mail at all.

It is not very hard to add the list address as a contact, and send mail
to that contact as "Text Only".  It does take away the ability to have
Bold characters ... BUT it is also good manners.

http://www.caliburn.nl/topposting.html

Please be considerate to others :)