[CentOS] DNS wizard

Jim Perrin jperrin at gmail.com
Thu Dec 29 20:35:19 UTC 2005

On 12/29/05, Sam Drinkard <sam at wa4phy.net> wrote:
>            Do we have anyone here who is a bind/dns wizard?  I've been under the impression my dns setup which I've used for so many years on a bsd machine is now considered lame.  If there is someone who would not mind taking a look at my configuration to see where I'm missing something, or where the difference lies between bind 9 and previous bind 8 configs?  I'd prefer to do this off list via direct e-mail.  The zone is very small, and the files are small too..

I don't consider myself an expert, but I'd be willing to help. I would
prefer to do it on-list if it's at all possible for a couple reasons.

1. It may help others who have questions about bind but haven't asked yet.
2. It will provide (assuming this is a productive thread) a reference
to link people to in the future.
3. Help from multiple people can be offered, so you get the best
overall advice via discussion style suggestion/revision. There's
probably something I'll miss that another person might pick up on. (
Someone else has done it, and done it better)

The only real downside is that your network topography is moderately
exposed. This can be mitigated by cleansing the files of domain names
etc, or it may be a completely internal home network and won't matter.

my $0.02.

--
Jim Perrin
System Architect - UIT