[CentOS] RPMS's rebuilt or upstream one's used

Bryan J. Smith thebs413 at earthlink.net
Fri Dec 30 20:04:42 UTC 2005

Jim Smith <jim_smith2006 at yahoo.com> wrote:
> I could've gotten a better response had I posted to
> mortuary at centos.org; cummon guys its not that
> difficult to respond!?

Okay, I'll take a shot ...

Jim Smith <jim_smith2006 at yahoo.com> wrote:
> RPMS's rebuilt or upstream one's used
> Hi
> I got a cleanly reinstalled 4.2 workstation. However
> i still needed to build the following SRPMS from
> Mandriva/Fedora :-
> - Chkrootkit
> - Logcheck
> - Tripwire
> - Xboard & Gnuchess
> - Rkhunter

There are various SPEC files out there for several of theses.
 RPMForge is where I start.  If not, then I use Checkinstall.
 Note that you will need to build an x86_64 version of
Checkinstall so it works for .x86_64.rpm SPEC/RPM building.

> I needed to use the upstream versions of :-
> - OpenOffice.org 2.0.1

OpenOffice.org 2.x is a bit of a pain to build with the
various dependencies.  If you really want leading edge, stick
with Fedora Core/Extras.

> - RealPlayer Gold

Why not just stick with HelixPlayer and add the relevant
RealPlayer codecs?  That's what I do.  ;->

> - Acrobat Reader

There are several SPEC files on the 'Net for Acroread.  There
are typically additional SPEC files for plugging into
browsers, GNOME, KDE, etc... too.

> I needed to tweak Bind chroot to log queries  and
> adopt a BSD style UID>1000. All redhat-based systems
> come with the inevitable tonne of services on by
> default.

Now I think you're treading into Anaconda/Kickstart
territory.  Consider the relevant Anaconda list at
redhat.com.

> Is this the same situation with everyone else?

Yes.  But we learn to roll our own, internal package sets,
Anaconda modifications, Kickstart scripts, etc...  Outside of
RPMForge as a centralized, collaborative effort to share SPEC
files -- most of this is site-specific and subjective.

> I know Karanbir produces some home made rpm' but obviously
> not all of the above. Dag's repo is also cool but not
> as extensive as Fedora Extras.

If you want Fedora Extras, run Fedora Core.  It's quite
reliable IMHO -- as long as you stick with the odd releases,
and recognize that not everything has been around as long as
with RHEL/CentOS.

That's the good/bad of the 2 projects.
Leading, lesser tested edge versus older, proven tested edge.

> Are there any plans to provide goodies like
> - pup

Whoa whoa whoa!  Aren't you getting far ahead of where RHEL
is at?  Heck, pup is new to Fedora Core 5 -- which only just
hit Test 1 last month.  Test 2 isn't even scheduled until
January now.

> - yumex/yum utils
> now that Fedora has dropped Up2date?

Yumex wasn't ever well adopted, and I've heard some horror
stories.

Yum is supported by CentOS, as RHEL itself.

Fedora's initial inclusion of Up2date was to still give
RHN-like access to updates.

I'm kinda confused on what you're asking for?

--
Bryan J. Smith     Professional, Technical Annoyance                      b.j.smith at ieee.org      http://thebs413.blogspot.com