[CentOS] CentOS and Dell Support

Sun Dec 4 20:47:32 UTC 2005
Matt Morgan <minxmertzmomo at gmail.com>

I'm a fairly experienced RH and Fedora user and admin looking to try
CentOS for the first time. I have lots of experience with Dell servers
and I'd like to stick with them.

Although I'm sure it's not always strictly enforced, Dell claims that
it won't provide warranty hardware support on servers installed with
an un-Dell-supported OS (basically, anything other Windows, RH, and
Suse). Are other CentOS admins successful in getting Dell to support
their hardware? How does it work--do you just tell them it's RH?

Also, any recommendations for which Dell PERC or Dell SATA RAID
adapters can I expect to work nicely with CentOS?

If, on the other hand, Dell gives you trouble for CentOS installs, and
you have recommendations for other server vendors, let me know. In
particular, one that can provide on-site warranty support in Toronto,
Canada, would be great. I'm only interested in i386 architecture, by
the way.

Thanks!
--Matt