[CentOS] Planning Mail Server (with low resources)

Tue Dec 6 02:26:04 UTC 2005
Alain Reguera <alain.reguera at gmail.com>

Hello,

I'm planning the installation of the school's Mail Server. This is the
first time I get in administration. I've been reading about postfix,
cyrus  and the first page in the guide of HughesJR.com[2] about
installing postfix-cyrus, but due my low hardware resources, I ask for
suggestions to see If what I need can be done (and|or) stable.

Hardware:
Pentium III 1.4Ghz
256 RAM
40 GB HD-IDE

Soft:
CentOS 4.2
Postfix
Cyrus-IMAPd
MailScanner
Spanassassin

Partitioning(in MB)[1]:
/                                   1.000
/boot/                            100
/home/                          15.000
/swap/                           512
/tmp/                             500
/usr/                              1.000
/var/                              5.000
/var/log/                         2.000
/var/spool/mail/               14.800

The server will serve around 2000 students, but only 80(maybe 100)
concurrent at time. I would like to make a very basic installation,
'cause as you can see, I am with a very low hardware resources. This
host will be mail dedicated.

In the near future the hard would be upgraded(maybe a nu computer).
Now, I need something to show in a working environment.

I'll appreciate any suggestion.

I've never been involved in this. I used to program with php, but now,
it has been delegated :| to me (chosen between other tasks).

Some orientation (and|or) readings will be great too, even while, I'll
continue reading about partitioning[3] (think my first step).

thanks in advanced for your time.

[1] http://www.linuxsa.org.au/tips/disk-partitioning.html
[2] http://www.hughesjr.com/content/view/9/30/Guides
[3] http://www.tldp.org/HOWTO/Partition/intro.html