[CentOS] gdm-restart/gdm-safe-restart

Fri Dec 9 00:24:42 UTC 2005
Kanwar Ranbir Sandhu <m3freak at rogers.com>

Hi all,

On a CentOS 4.2, x86_64 system, I created a new session that is
selectable from the sessions list in GDM.  To make GDM see the changes,
I ran the following:

gdm-safe-restart

That's supposed to make GDM re-read it's config files.  Well, it worked,
but instead of staying on vt7, GDM moved to vt9.  At first it looked
liked GDM had died, but I ran ps aux|grep gdm, and found it running on
vt9.  Odd, that.  I then tried a gdm-restart, and GDM disappeared again.
It had moved to vt10.  Odder, still.

I was only able to get GDM to restart on vt7 by killing the GDM process,
or by changing the server's run level from 5, to 3 and back to 5.

On a CentOS 4.2, i386 box, gdm-safe-restart and gdm-restart function as
I expected them to: GDM restarts and stays on vt7.  I also didn't notice
any problems on a FC4 box.

There isn't much of anything in terms of documentation on
gdm-safe-restart and gdm-restart.  I'm fairly sure I'm using them
correctly.

Anyone else notice this behaviour?

Regards,

Ranbir