[CentOS] Linking against a specific Berkeley DB install

Thu Dec 1 21:28:22 UTC 2005
Bryan J. Smith <thebs413 at earthlink.net>

I avoided even suggesting FDS because I assumed that if
someone was using OpenLDAP already, they wouldn't want to
convert their schema and setup.  But since others have
responded, let me clear up some things.

Craig White <craigwhite at azapple.com> wrote:
> Seems that it languished for a long time after Sun bought
> it from AOL before Red Hat bought it from Sun (it was
> originally known as Netscape Directory Server).

Whoa whoa whoa!  Let's get some things straight here ...

1)  Netscape Directory Server (NsDS) and Certificate Server
(CS) are in _heavy_ use across _many_ huge (10,000+
user/node) networks -- especially those that use a variety of
platforms.

2)  Sun _licensed_ NsDS' LDAP components from AOL-Netscape as
the directory portion of their Sun One platform.  Sun still
uses RSA for its authentication/crypto, just as it did in
NIS+.

3)  Red Hat spend several years trying to beef up OpenLDAP as
the heart of its open source enterprise services platform,
but finally just started reselling NsDS/CS as RHDS/CS last
year.  This deal included the rights to GPL most of NsDS/CS
no later than April 30, 2005.

4)  The same NsDS/CS version 7.1 that has been used by many
enterprise is now available as the identical FDS/CS (free)
and RHDS/CS ($15K w/support).  The current, binary FDS/CS is
100% freely redistributable.

5)  FDS/CS is also available in a new, changing form -- a
sprawling set of GPL/Freedomware compnents that are almost
complete.  Long story short, several components cannot be
directly GPL'd/Freedomware'd, although lawyers and
technologists alike are working together to make a 100% GPL
version.  The new 1.0 milestone is a good sign, although
_not_ everything is in there.

> I don't think it supports schema checking.
> I got the impression that it isn't that fast.

Which versions?

The binary FDS/CS release that is based on the existing
RHDS/CS 7.1?  Or the new FDS/CS 1.0 source code release?

> I don't think that there are many people using the newly
> revised open source version.

Then use the binary version.  It's free and freely
redistributable.  ;->