[CentOS] access to httpd logs

Thu Dec 1 21:59:24 UTC 2005
Les Mikesell <lesmikesell at gmail.com>

On Thu, 2005-12-01 at 15:08, James Pifer wrote:

> The analyzing software runs on windows. It's connection options for
> looking at logs is file, http, or ftp. What's worse, is I just found
> that it apparently does not support passive ftp. I'm trying to get
> vsftpd to do active, but either I'm not getting it configured right, or
> more likely, the firewall is messing it up. I used to run windows ftp
> server for providing the logs when it ran on windows, and ftp'ing was no
> problem.
>
> Anyway, that's where I'm at right now.

You could install cygwin sshd on the windows box and scp the
files there in a cron job - or to an intermediate box in
the right place with respect to your firewalls.  The part
no one has mentioned yet is that these files will be growing
unless you coordinate the logrotate step with the transfer,
or perhaps more cleanly, have apache pipe the logs to it's
'rotatelogs' helper that creates new timestamped files
at specified intervals.  You can run rsync against these
to pick up whatever is new.

--
   Les Mikesell
    lesmikesell at gmail.com