[CentOS] MySQL as a service, don't start

Fri Dec 2 15:58:08 UTC 2005
Craig White <craigwhite at azapple.com>

On Fri, 2005-12-02 at 10:51 -0500, Jim Perrin wrote:

> > rpm -e mysql-server
> > yum install mysql-server
> >
> > should accomplish what you want.
> >

> Only think I'd add to this is that removing the rpm doesn't remove any
> of the existing db files in /var/lib/mysql/ so if something is hosed
> in them, it will remain hosed on new install. If you haven't put
> anything in the db yet, I'd nuke the files in /var/lib/mysql/ before
> the yum install mysql-server command.
----
cli - as root...

# service mysqld stop
# rm -fr /var/lib/mysql/* # completely purges all databases (beware)
# service mysqld start # sets up default databases again
# mysqladmin - u root password 'new-password' # sets root password
                                              # for mysql
### note by default, root user doesn't have a password

# chkconfig mysqld on # start mysql server daemon to automatically
                      # start up on common run levels

Craig