[CentOS] Tyan S2891 and CentOS -- 6, 8, 10+ PCI busses in today's new systems

Fri Dec 2 18:37:09 UTC 2005
rik at harddata.com <rik at harddata.com>

> rik at harddata.com wrote:
>> This must be old documentation.  The pci=nobios flag didn't
>> work.
>
> It doesn't mean the documentation is old.  The HOWTO clearly
> lists the "pci=conf1" and "pci=conf2" options.  They wouldn't
> exist if they merely only sent "pci=nobios" -- they are doing
> something differently.

This makes sense.

> I probably means the "pci=conf1" does something a few things
> more than just what "pci=nobios" does.  Most docs say try
> "pci=nobios", "pci=conf1" and "pci=conf2" to see if they
> resolve issues with how the BIOS enumerates PCI
> busses/devices.

Now that I have success at making the machine work I need to get the
project going so I have limited time to explore this.

> It wouldn't surprise me if modern Phoenix ServerBIOSes have
> several ACPI configuration modes that send limited info by
> default, and offer 1-2 additional modes (hence conf1/conf2)
> with more info -- detailed lists that might hang OSes like
> Windows (especially DOS-based) which are rather simplistic
> and limited at the bootstrap.
>
> Again, I'll do more research and put this in the ELManagers
> FAQ.
>
> What this probably does is send the "Conf1" info as the
> default.  Again, I need to research this more.
>
> [ Although I'd love to see if a Windows install/boot hangs
> with that setting -- especially Windows 95/98. ;-]

I would like to experiment but I just don't have the time.
Besides I think my Win98CD is underneath my crack I mean coffee mug right
now. :)

Rik