[CentOS] cpu temp reading - got bus error from tar extract

Sat Dec 3 05:56:32 UTC 2005
Max <btmanmeh at verizon.net>

Rob wrote:
> I have:
>   [root at needme ~]# cat /boot/config-`uname -r`|grep THERMAL
>   CONFIG_ACPI_THERMAL=y
>
> but
>   [root at needme ~]# ls -l /proc/acpi/thermal_zone/
>   total 0
>
> directory is empty.
>
> acpid is running. Any ideas what's wrong?

I thought if acpid was running, the default was that directory. I'm
running that on a Thinkpad though, so perhaps I have some IBM stuff
loaded extra, I know I didn't load anything extra myself. I just checked
on my desktop install and that directory is empty too, my mistake I
apologize.

I have a line in my grub.conf file to have it on as well:

kernel /vmlinuz-2.6.9-22.0.1.EL ro root=/dev/VolGroup00/LogVol00 rhgb
quiet apm=off acpi=on

I'm not sure if that offers any help or not, but you said you had the
daemon running so that line shouldn't matter I wouldn't think.

Max