[CentOS] install

Mon Dec 5 13:14:32 UTC 2005
Jim Perrin <jperrin at gmail.com>

On 12/5/05, John Dangler <jdangler at atlantic.net> wrote:
> I just complete an install of 2.6.9-11.EL i686
> On reboot, I get a couple of minor errors:
> smartd [FAILED]  (not sure what this is)
>
> and then an error saying that no X server could be started (I installed
> using the graphical install and selected 'everything' as a first-time
> install)
>
> The error states:
> (EE) VIA(0): No valid modes found.
> According to the detail output, VIA seems to get loaded ok, then funs
> through every possible video mode and fails with the following two lines
> repeated for each mode:
> (II) VIA(0): Not using default mode "320x240" (bad mode
> clock/interface/doublescan)
> (II) VIA(0): Not using default mode "320x240" (hsync out of range)
> according to the output, it successfully reads a DEL Model 7004, and gives a
> max h-image size of horz 31, vert 23 .
> (it's a 15" display).
>
> I'm not sure how to track this down.  Any input is appreciated.

What type of computer is it(what's the hardware inside, video card etc)?

Smartd is a disk health monitoring tool. It doesn't work well with
SATA drives yet, or SCSI drives, so if you have one of these, you can
safely ignore/disable it. As for why X isn't starting, I'm not sure.
it should prompt you to configure it at first boot. Its possible that
it can't load the proper modules, but we'd need specifics to know for
sure.

--
Jim Perrin
System Architect - UIT