[CentOS] Re: Keeping data on 2 servers in sync !

Tue Dec 6 02:48:09 UTC 2005
Sudev Barar <sbarar at gmail.com>

On 12/6/05, rado <rado at rivers-bend.com> wrote:
[SNIPPED FOR EASE]
> I sync up 2 servers w/software I wrote myself but I only use this along
> the lines of "HA" techniques.
> also...not real time...that would be ummm...pretty high dollar stuff
> there...I sync up bout every 20-30 seconds
> Both servers are not running at the same time. It's a master/slave deal
> w/the slave just constantly checking on the master...it the slave deems
> the master is in trouble...it just takes the ip and it's the master
> until you intervene.
>
> depending on what you want to sync up... it might work...the key w/this
> is that only 1 server is serving at any given time.

Unless there is way too much data being generated (and in typical
office environment there is not) rsync run every half an hour by cron
would keep the both servers reasonably free and keep data in sync.
Since it only updates the files that have flag changes since last run
it does this fast enough. This would mean that if user travels(shifts)
from one office to another the files are updated by the time he gets
there.
This does not allow for remote file mount solution in case of failure
at one end, which in any casewith such skinny link is not practical.

--
Sudev Barar
Learning Linux