[CentOS] Re: Planning Mail Server (with low resources)

Tue Dec 6 14:27:24 UTC 2005
Feizhou <feizhou at graffiti.net>

Alain Reguera wrote:
> I'm getting a little involved now, thanks for replaying guys
>

>>Disable Imap and only keep pop3 ?
>
> but how can I grant students' mobility around labs, keeping their
> Inbox's messages available from one workstation to another?
>
> The suggestions about memory is very useful. I'll put spanassassin and
> mailscanner but only after a hardware upgrade.
>
> by now I consider: cyrus and postfix

Lose cyrus. That beast has some fancy indexing that can be corrupted.

Forget mailscanner. Use postfix with clamsmtpd and clamav for AV. As for
spam, the best defence is NOT to accept spams in the first place. Making
good use of RBLs like the SBL, XBL, SORBS RBLs and the other suggestion
of using SURBL in spamassassin should keep the spam problem to a minimum
and this again is mostly postfix related except for spamassassin.

> The suggestions have been very important. I'll continue reading in
> this direction. Any last comments are also welcome :)
>
> I'll keep the last partitioning, passed 8 hours I'll install, now need
> a rest :) zZZZ

I would suggest otherwise. Your huge /var/spool/mail suggests that you
plan to use the mbox format for storing mails. I suggest that you switch
to maildir and therefore trash /var/spool/mail and allocate that lot to
/home and use maildir to store your mails.

> I would like to keep this topic open, for any new suggestion on a
> different and new setup on Planning Mail Server (with low resources).

Yes. I suggest running two queues. postfix + clamsmtpd + clamav, first
line of defence (RBLs and other gateway blocking). Mails that get
through should then be delivered to a qmail queue which will give you
very low resource taking processes and a maildir delivery system with
the most versatile local delivery agent possible. dovecot can be used as
the imap server.