[CentOS] Re: Planning Mail Server (with low resources)

Tue Dec 6 14:46:11 UTC 2005
Feizhou <feizhou at graffiti.net>

> Yes. I suggest running two queues. postfix + clamsmtpd + clamav, first
> line of defence (RBLs and other gateway blocking). Mails that get
> through should then be delivered to a qmail queue which will give you
> very low resource taking processes and a maildir delivery system with
> the most versatile local delivery agent possible. dovecot can be used as
> the imap server.

Oops, I have totally forgotten one thing.

For 2000 students and faculty (well, I guess faculty may or may not be
hosted on the same box but even if it is a different domain, it is not
hard) and the constant yearly addition and possibly removal of accounts,
I would suggest a system where the user information are stored in a
database (mysql) and virtual mail storage (only one system account is
used for all email account mailboxes).

This is possible with postfix alone, you just have to work out the
database schema yourself and build the interfaces needed for
addition/removal of email accounts otherwise you will or whoever will
have to do all that manual by running sql statements.

With qmail, you can add vpopmail and vqadmin which does all the above
with the additional plus of having spamassassin support for mysql vpopmail.