[CentOS] Re: Planning Mail Server (with low resources)

Tue Dec 6 16:11:47 UTC 2005
Chris Mauritz <chrism at imntv.com>

Rodrigo Barbosa wrote:

>Performancewise, I consider (from the tests I ran for Conectiva back in
>2000) qmail the second fastest non-commercial MTA. The fastests being
>exim. Commercial solutions like S/MAIL will beat them all to the ground,
>and S/MAIL is the basis of Exim just like QMail is the basis for Postfix.

Actually, postfix was written from scratch by Wietse Venema (developer
of TCP Wrappers) and has nothing at all to do with Qmail.  As a matter
of fact, Dan and Wietse don't seem to enjoy good relations (Dan is a
pain in the ass to deal with if you ask me).  I wouldn't recommend qmail
to anyone, and certainly not a beginner.  Postfix comes with CentOS and
will be a lot easier to integrate and maintain.

Cheers,