[CentOS] slow usb hard disk performance.

Tue Dec 6 16:44:50 UTC 2005
Joshua Baker-LePain <jlb17 at duke.edu>

On Mon, 5 Dec 2005 at 5:49pm, Les Mikesell wrote

> Amanda uses dump or tar for the backups and adds one extra block
> as a header to each backup.  You can strip off the header with
> dd and restore with dump or tar alone.  It was a nice system
> 15 years ago but hasn't had a lot of development since.  It
> has one big flaw in that it can't split a single filesytem
> backup across more than one tape even though it can do many
> hosts/filesystems in one run splitting different backups within
> the run over different tapes. With todays big disks that's probably
> fatal.

I hardly consider it fatal.  I backup 5.5TB of space (4 FSs) to
an AIT3 changer without a problem.  Also, tape spanning is included
in the 2.5 branch, which is officially in beta now.

--
Joshua Baker-LePain
Department of Biomedical Engineering