[CentOS] Re: Planning Mail Server (with low resources)

Tue Dec 6 17:52:18 UTC 2005
Feizhou <feizhou at graffiti.net>

> Me neither. I have been running e-mail server for so long, that I
> really don't care about these "blackbox" solutions. They are more
> trouble than they are worth.

Except when they are well done. vpopmail, vmailmgr...don't exim also
have something written for it to manage virtual mailboxes?

>>I don't find postfix a pain to configure...besides Devdas and one of my
>>managers, there is no other postfix guy where i work. We do have an exim
>>guy :D. postfix requires more reading to maintain and configure. It gets
>>an unfair advantage by being preinstalled and preconfigured for system
>>account delivery and thereby making it appear simple.
>

> Yeah, the bastards :)
>
> Actually, as long as you have a sound base system (qmail, exim, postfix,
> even zmailer), and someone with a few years experience, you can always
> get a good system.

where did sendmail go? =)

>>>Oh. .forward has nothing to do with "local delivery". You are correct
>>>in comparing procmail with maildrop. Those are the one we can classify
>>>as "local delivery system".
>>
>>how can you say that? .forward provides delivery instructions for
>>locally delivered mails so how come you say that it has nothing to do
>>with "local delivery"?
>

> Actually, .forward provides intra-MTA routing instructions, not delivery
> instructions :)

Please stop muddling things for newbies. A line with a pipe in the
.forward file means deliver mail to program through a pipe. A line with
a path means deliver a copy to this mailbox and a line with an email
address means forward a copy to the email address.

You are mixing up 'mailertables' on sendmail, 'transports' on postfix
and 'smtproutes' on qmail with .forward/.qmail local delivery
instruction files.

> I agree "nothing to do" was a little strong worded, since everything
> has to do with local delivery. That is, after all, what the whole
> e-mail system is about.

-_-. "intra-MTA routing" has nothing to do with local delivery...

>>Hmm...probably time to take this offlist if we continue :P
>

> Nah. No one started screaming yet, or even compared us to Bryan. So
> we still have some room :)

Anyway, nice to see that Bryan is still on the list.