[CentOS] How to recover data from a Windows Partition using CentOS?

Wed Dec 7 13:20:23 UTC 2005
Matt Morgan <minxmertzmomo at gmail.com>

On 12/7/05, David Evennou <de at data-masters.com> wrote:
> Hello Members,
>
> While extracting a zip file using Win XP Pro, something happend to Windows
> and it just keeps rebooting. I can't get to safe mode because it reboots
> after gettiing through some of the sys drivers/files. This is a dual boot
> machine with CentOS 4. I may try to use the install disk to "repair"
> windows. If that does not work, how can I recover files from the Windows
> partition while booted in CentOS? Can I tell CentOS about another drive and
> simply mount it?

generally, yes. If that's an NTFS partition, you'll need to install
the ntfs drivers you can find at linux-ntfs.sourceforge.net. Then you
just mount:

mount -t ntfs /dev/hda2 /mnt/windows

(for example--your device is probably different, and the directory can
be whatever you want).

Knoppix, as suggested in another post, is another excellent idea.