[CentOS] Re: Planning Mail Server (with low resources)

Wed Dec 7 13:31:02 UTC 2005
Feizhou <feizhou at graffiti.net>

Alain Reguera wrote:
> Restructuring setup
> ---------------------------------
> Hardware:
> Pentium III 1.4Ghz
> 256 RAM
> 40 GB HD-IDE
>
> Soft:
> CentOS 4.2
> Postfix
> Cyrus-IMAPd
>
> Partitioning(in MB):
> /                         8.000
> /boot/                  100
> swap                   512
> /home/                15.888
> /tmp/                   500
> /var/spool/imap/    15.000
>
> would be this a candidate setup?

NO.

1) Minor: Why do you want a large /home?

Is this email only or do you plan to let users create their own webpage
or something?

2) Major: No /var partition which means it comes under /. I suggest
separating /var from / since /var will hold your mail queue. If
possible, get / to the state where it is mounted read only.

> I'm planning use quota (as suggested in this list) on cyrus level,
> giving the students the possibility of free their inbox when it is
> over quota, and let the messages that are in queue (recently) get into
> the inbox when the space is freed.

Remember to make overquota a temp/soft failure then if that is what you
want.

> In the future, think the possibility of use postgresql (and some php
> application) to manage users accounts.

I'd suggest doing that now. Migrating mailboxes to a new system is not fun.

> Like the beginning, it'll be appreciated any suggestion about.

Get another disk if the mails are important to you.