[CentOS] Re: Planning Mail Server (with low resources)

Wed Dec 7 16:14:16 UTC 2005
Feizhou <feizhou at graffiti.net>

> It's not that I couldn't use courier or X-mail or vpopmail or whatever
> but the out of band projects aren't logical choices for someone that
> doesn't want to commit to maintaining their own upgrades - especially
> when considering that the RH packagers have provided reasonable enough
> alternatives.

I'd just like to say that some, if not most, of the 'out of band'
solutions don't need upgrading.

> The OP obviously did some research and planning and rather thoughtfully
> offered his conclusions for review.
>
> I'm less than certain that the OP was well served by suggestions of out
> of band alternatives. Just using one of the daemons supplied in CentOS
> and used by a fair cross-section of users on this list provides a
> comfort level that most out of band packages could never deliver.

There is a reason why many large sites use 'out of band' packages.

Redhat has geared its offerings for those who don't have a lot of time
on their hands which is the case for most SME's I'd say. Beyond that,
the bundled packages are not up to special environments.