Backup solutions Re: [CentOS] Re: Planning Mail Server (with low resources)

Wed Dec 7 20:56:41 UTC 2005
Dennis Gilmore <dennis at ausil.us>

On Wednesday 07 December 2005 13:51, Rodrigo Barbosa wrote:
> On Wed, Dec 07, 2005 at 10:57:23AM -0800, Bryan J. Smith wrote:
> > Karanbir Singh <mail-lists at karan.org> wrote:
> > > Can we stop Trolling here ?
> > > Rodrigo, how many DLT tapes do you think he needs to backup
> > > the 40gig HDD he has in there ?
> >
> > As I mentioned before, LTO is faster and cheaper these days.
> >
> > And if you're going to spend $2+K on a backup drive, you
> > might as well go for the gold and spend $3-4K to get a new
> > LTO-3 that holds 400GB natively, and backs up at a 80MBps
> > rate (double each for typical 2:1 hardware compression).
>
> It is hard enough to find DLT units and tapes around here, Bryan,
> that I don't even want to think about getting LTO stuff.
>
> How easy is to get LTO units and tapes in USA and other countries ?
> How open is it (meaning: how many companies make it) ?
>
> []s
I use LTO1 they are in plentiful supply and the tapes are much cheaper than
DLT.  i get tapes for about USD$28 each,  they hold 100GB natively the tapes
are readily available form many companies.  IBM, HP, Sony, fuji, Imation, TDK
to name a few.  LTO is an open standard.  and is supported by every tape
vendor out there.  this is the reason that prices are much better.  its a
more even playing field.  you are not dependent on 1 or 2 vendors for all
supplies.

Dennis