[CentOS] Re: SMB server with CentOS 4

Wed Dec 7 22:24:59 UTC 2005
Bryan J. Smith <thebs413 at earthlink.net>

Feizhou <feizhou at graffiti.net> wrote:
> How exactly does a Windows generic postscript driver
> communicate with the cups system on printer settings
through
> samba?

It uses Samba to get the PPDs.

For my prior #3 (Adobe PS driver), it's a crapload easier
when all you have to do for any new printer is configure a
new Printer string and point to its PPD in the smb.conf.  If
you have different vendor drivers, you have to deal with
figuring out all those different files.

For my prior #4 (CUPS driver, CUPS-Samba), you _never_ have
to edit the smb.conf.  The CUPS driver on the Windows side
knows where to look and how to setup PPDs automagically.  And
any changes mean the new PPD gets published, etc...

> Even the cups postscript driver for windows does not appear
> to offer that...

We're talking about both:
A)  How do you configure the Samba server to publish the
printer driver, and
B)  How do you configure the client to use the driver

#1 in my prior discussion does _neither_.

#2-3 in my prior discussion automates A.
#3 is less of a bitch for B than #2, because it's the same
driver, only the Printer string and PPD changes.

#4 in my prior discussion automates _both_ A and B.

#4 also keeps users from changing options on the printer they
should not -- like changing tray options that don't exist and
holding up queues as the printer waits for manual
intervention.