[CentOS] Re: Planning Mail Server (with low resources)

Thu Dec 8 00:20:12 UTC 2005
Bill Diamond <bill at billdiamond.com>

----- Original Message -----
From: "Feizhou" <feizhou at graffiti.net>

>> On Wed, Dec 07, 2005 at 02:58:20PM -0500, Alain Reguera wrote:
>>
>>>Thank for clean my doubt about cyrus' storing folders.
>>>
>>>Partitioning(in MB):
>>>/                         1.000
>>>/boot/                  100
>>>swap                   512
>>>/tmp/                   500
>>>/usr/                    5.000
>>>/var/                    10.000
>>>/var/spool/imap/    22.888
>>

>> You still want to have /home on a separated filesystem. You just don't
>> need it to be big.
>
> If he wants system users. In his case where this box sole use is mail
> (Alain please confirm) I don't really see a need for a separate /home if
> there is nobody to use it.

If he's going to set this up for IMAP, then certainly putting /home onto a
separate drive, not just a separate partition, will be very beneficial.
This can enable him to do some pretty cool things, like using spamassassin
and procmail to automatically filter out spam into seperate folders.

On my admittedly small setup, I also have scripts run that look for any
messages in the user's home maildir "Missed Spam" folder and "Not Spam"
folder.  In the "Missed Spam" folder, I have it automatically rescore the
messages using sa-learn.  In the "Not Spam" folder, it's a bit trickier, but
using formail along with spamassassin, I can reprocess false positives,
strip the headers, and redeliver them appropriately.

Bill