[CentOS] Selecting a compatible motherboard

Sat Dec 10 19:13:00 UTC 2005
Sam Drinkard <sam at wa4phy.net>

Todd Cary wrote:

> One of my servers is not compatible with Centos 4, so I want to
> replace the motherboard with a compatible one.  I came across this
> site and would appreciate any comments on whether I can rely on
> selecting a board that is listed as compatible with Unix?
>
> http://www.dealtime.com/xPP-motherboards--asustek~V-rows
>
> For instance, the ASUS P5P800 Motherboard?
>
> Thank you....
>
> Todd

Todd,

    I went thru such a drill not too long ago, and started out with a
Tyan board which wound up having problems of a hardware nature, but
there were other things that did not work exactly right either.  After
doing more research, I found that the SuperMicro boards do maintain a
compat list with various versions of Unix / Linux / RedHat.  I wound up
with a dual Xeon server board that works good. Altho not specifically
stated to work with CentOS, it is certified to work with RH9, and that
was enough for me to give it a try.  Good board to boot.  This one is
the X6DAEG2, and there are several versions of the X6 board series, some
with and without scsi controllers on board, some with and without
video.  This one happens to not have video or the SCSI controller, but
does have a dual SATA controller.

Hope this helps some..

Sam

--