[CentOS] gconftool

Mon Dec 12 16:40:55 UTC 2005

On Mon, 2005-12-12 at 10:36 -0600, Johnny Hughes wrote:
> On Mon, 2005-12-12 at 10:54 -0500, Jerry Geis wrote:
> > I am using gconftool to set a number of parameters up automatically...
> > However, the one parameter I cannot find is under root
> > you should be able to set the "automatic login" on first boot up.
> >
> > This found under "Applications", "System settings", "Login screen", then
> > automatic login.
> >
> > Can someone point me to that setting?
> >
> You can't automatically login as root ... as that would be extremely
> unsafe and a very, Very, VERY bad thing to do :)

In fact, it is my opinion (I know, but I thought I would share my
opinion in this case) that one should never even login to the GUI screen
as root at all.  But that is enabled by default upstream (so it is not
changed in CentOS) and you can login as root to gnome or KDE if you
want ... it is disabled on all my machines so that root can not login to
the GUI.