[CentOS] Seagate NCQ + Sil3112 (sata_sil)

Tue Dec 13 14:36:01 UTC 2005
Feizhou <feizhou at graffiti.net>

Sam Drinkard wrote:
> Feizhou wrote:
>
>> Peter Kitchener wrote:
>>
>>> All,
>>>
>>> I have a problem with a new Seagate hard disk. The problem occurs
>>> when i go to install CentOS, i insert the cd and start the boot up
>>> process, when it gets to the section where it detects the hard disks,
>>> the driver is seems crashes, the message it produces complains about
>>> no one caring about a interrupt on IRQ11. The hard disk is a Seagate
>>> 200GB 8MB SATA150 NCQ drive, on a SilliconImage 3112 PCI adapter
>>> card. Does anyone have any ideas?
>>>

>> Seagate and Silicon Image are a not very well known disaster
>> combination due to unclear specificitions which led to varying
>> implementations.
>>
>> The only idea possible is get another card or another brand of disk.
>>
> I ran into somewhat the same problem with an install, and got the same
> type of irq 11 message, which happened to be for that machine, a USB
> hub.  If I recall right, in order to get the thing to install, I had to
> use the noacpi and a few other commands, but once I figured out what was
> killing things, the install process went ahead.  Realize this is
> probably not much help, but I wouldn't toss the disk just yet.  There
> has to be something that can be done to get it installed.

Well, for some a bios update would make their Silicon Image play nice
with Seagate disks but then there are also reports of Silicon Image +
Seagate NCQ having an entirely different problem. This is with them
being 'blacklisted' by the driver. (blacklisted as in work around the
problem)