[CentOS] compaq r4000 /proc/cpuinfo reports 997 and should be 2400

Tue Dec 13 20:15:00 UTC 2005
Bryan J. Smith <thebs413 at earthlink.net>

Jerry Geis <geisj at pagestation.com> wrote:
> Hi
> I have a compaq R4000 with the 2.4GIG AMD 64 bit. 4000+
> rated. proc cpuinfo reports
> cpu Mhz as 997.481
> Do I have to run the 64 bit version to have things run
> correctly?  I just have the normal 4.2 loaded at this time.
> The laptop seems slow for 4000+ as reflected by the cpu Mhz
> also.
> Any thoughts on running the 32 bit version of 4.2 vs the 64
> bit version of 4.2?

AMD PowerNow! may reduce the clock to increase battery life.
Try running a heafty video or 3D application while cat'ing
/proc in the background (maybe a quick for loop that sleeps
every few seconds).

There can be compatibility issues with AMD PowerNow!, older
kernels, older BIOSes, etc...

-- Bryan

P.S.  How are you liking the Athlon 64 / ATI Xpress 200
chipset combination under Linux?  I'm very tempted to drop
$800-900 on an Averec (sp?) light (4.4lbs.), 12" portable
with the Turion 64 / Xpress 200 combination.  I was hopeful
that nVidia would enter the space with a NV44 (GeForce
61x0/nForce 4x0) since I explicitly trust their APIC/ACPI/I2C
logic and MCP-04 peripherals under Linux.  But that doesn't
seem to be happening.