[CentOS] slug of zombies

Tue Dec 13 23:34:04 UTC 2005
Maciej Żenczykowski <maze at cela.pl>

Use "ps auxwwf" to figure out what are the zombies parents and kill the
parents.  Whenever a process ends/dies/is killed it is turned into a
zombie until it is 'reaped' by it's parent process (the parent process
needs the zombie to stay around until it receives the SIGCHLD signal and
retrieves the process exit state).  If a program has children but fails to
reap them (either because it doesn't handle SIGCHLD or reap in some other
manner) via lack of such facility or bad design or because it froze,
zombie processes may accumulate...

Cheers,
MaZe.