[CentOS] Huge OO.org packages installed by default

Wed Dec 14 01:50:45 UTC 2005

On Wed, 2005-12-14 at 12:39 +1100, Tim Edwards wrote:
> I was just wondering if anyone here knows why the OO.org packages on
> RHEL/Centos are so huge.
> Eg. On Mandriva 2006:
> 40834529 OpenOffice.org
> 113064600 OpenOffice.org-libs
> 20124669 OpenOffice.org-help-en
> 19976941 OpenOffice.org-l10n-en
>
> = ~185MB
>
> On Centos 4:
> 683298379 openoffice.org-i18n
> 124072694 openoffice.org
> 111894560 openoffice.org-libs
>
> = ~876MB!!
>
> When I say 'installed by default' I mean that I selected the 'Office'
> package group during the install of both OSes and didn't make any custom
> package selections. Both OSes have OO.org 1.1 working fine, I'm just
> wondering why costs me nearly 5 times as much disk space on RHEL/Centos
> than it does on another distro?

You must be looking at expanded size and not RPM size.

I think it is because there is one international version that contains
support for all languages.  Looks like the installed mandriva packages
are english only.

I checked the RH size and it is comparable.