[CentOS] Kernel Panic - Not synching Machine Check

Wed Dec 14 02:40:46 UTC 2005
Vikas <topgun9 at gmail.com>

Ok I did this to get memtest in the boot menu:
yum install memtest*
memtest-setup

I am now going to call the remote hands and have them run the memtest.

Would it be too much of a conincidence that this friday I:
1. upgrade the OS from Fedora Core 2 to CentOS 4.2
2. Upgrade the bios on the motherboard Tyan S2881
http://www.tyan.com/support/html/b_s2881.html

and the memory fails at the same time ?

Also can this problem be something to do with the harddrive DMA ? I
tired using hdparm to disable the harddrive DMA, but since its a SATA
drive, hdparm reports:
"HDIO_GET_MULTCOUNT failed: Inappropriate ioctl for device"

lm_sensors shows the cpu temperature to be 46C.