RE: [CentOS] How to select a motherboard

Thu Dec 15 16:16:12 UTC 2005
Bowie Bailey <Bowie_Bailey at BUC.com>

From: Todd Cary [mailto:todd at aristesoftware.com]

> Let me apologize for not putting some specs out there right
> up front; it is like saying I want a vehicle without stating
> that I haul tools and sometimes a few bags of cement!
>
> This is for a "light weight server" that is connected to DSL
> and just affords my clients the advantage of downloading
> daily applications I maintain via FTP.  Also, my "photo
> clients" view my "digital proof sheets"...very light weight stuff.

Ok, so nothing fancy.  Just a basic board with video, sound, and NIC
onboard.

> I need to replace my current board since it has "fake RAID"
> (Abit BE7-RAID) and Centos will not install.  The disks are
> IDE.  Once it is up, I just let it run and run...nothing special.

Most motherboards have "fake RAID" built-in.  Have you tried going
into the bios and setting those channels to standard IDE?  If you
bypass the raid, CentOS should be able to recognise the disks and
install.  If you still want raid, do it via software.

Bowie