[CentOS] How to select a motherboard -- CPU architectures and chipsets

Thu Dec 15 19:14:52 UTC 2005
Feizhou <feizhou at graffiti.net>

Bryan J. Smith wrote:
> Feizhou <feizhou at graffiti.net> wrote:
>
>>Eh? http://www.nvidia.com/object/IO_16450.html
>>They specifically highlight NCQ on page 4 for their SATA
>>implementation.
>

> According to the SATA/libata status page:
>   http://linux.yyz.us/sata/sata-status.html#nvidia
>
> I guess they were talking about the MCP-03, instead of the
> newer MCP-04?  In any case, I'm not getting NCQ support on my
> nForce4 serieschipsets under Windows.  I guess some just
> don't include it?

I built a box with the Tomcat K8E which does have NCQ supported on the
SATA host controller but it also requires SATA disks that support
NCQ...which I did not get. So no NCQ enabled there.

> My point is that it's still not a hardware-based host
> adapter.  It's only the end-device component, with a software
> host.
>

> Yeah, it seems the regular nForce 4 and at least the nForce
> 410 (not sure about the 430) don't have it.

Hardware support there in the SATA controller. Don't which particular chip.