[CentOS] Where is the kernel source code???

Sun Dec 18 19:04:07 UTC 2005
Kevin Krieser <k_krieser at sbcglobal.net>

On Dec 18, 2005, at 12:46 PM, lnthai2002 at aim.com wrote:

> I have centOS 4 installed on my machine but some how it does not
> support my TV capture card (bt878) in the kernel, so i want to
> recompile the kernel to add support for my device. However, i cant
> find centOS 4  kernel source code. I have read some messages in the
> mailing list and someone said that i just need to
> yum install kernel-sourcecode
> to get the source code, i did it but i yum reported that there is
> no package matched. Please help
> __
> Check Out the new free AIM(R) Mail -- 2 GB of storage and industry-
> leading spam and email virus protection.

You need to download the source RPM for the kernel, either from the
Sources CD, or from the appropriate sources directory.  Apparently
Redhat stopped providing an explicit kernel sources RPM package since
it was already available on their sources CD.

I had to do a little google search on rpmbuild to figure out how to
retrieve the source from this collection of patches, since I hadn't
done this before.