[CentOS] Installing CentOS via HTTP

Mon Dec 19 17:28:24 UTC 2005

At 11:49 AM 12/19/2005, Karanbir Singh wrote:
>Robert Moskowitz wrote:
>>OK.  I loaded the CDs onto one of my servers.
>>you can see them at http://65.84.78.210/~rgm/centos
>>When I enter 65.84.78.210 as the web site name and ~rgm/centos as
>>the directory, it fails reporting that it cannot access the
>>http://65.84.78.210//~rgm/centos/Centos/base/stage2.img
>>Where is that extra / coming from?  And when I go back to the
>>screen where I entered this info I see /~rgm/centos  !  I did not
>>enter that leading /
>>What gives?  how do I get past this point?

>>>the full expanded tree is expected. You could use
>>>for server : http://mirror.centos.org
>>>for path  : centos/4/os/i386
>>>
>>>( this is for a i386 install )
>
>you can ignore that extra / , check on the server log files what /
>where its looking.
>
>Also on the the VC#3 and VC#4 you should see some extra info about
>the various url's its trying and if there is a networking issue or not.

It seems I have 'bigger' problems.  That being how the distro is
working with my ethernet adapter, or not.

My ethernet is on my Portege LAN port replicator.  Win2000 has no
problem working with this device.

The distro seems to see it, but DHCP fails.  I manually config the IP
address, and cannot PING the notebook from the DHCP server (on that
subnet).  I get incomplete entries in the ARP table.  And nothing for
that IP address in my HTTP server's access.log.

So I tried a tried and true 3COM PCMCIA lan card.  But it did not
recognize it.  No LAN lights coming on, like at least on the LAN port
replicator.

Where do I look now?