[CentOS] ATRpms repo question...

Sun Dec 25 20:27:57 UTC 2005

On Sun, 2005-12-25 at 12:24 -0500, Jose Alburquerque wrote:
> Hi.  I'm fairly new with CentOS but have been using version 4.2 with
> great satisfaction (Thank you!).  I've been using repos such as Dag and
> Dries successfully to keep my packages up to date.  (I've seen many
> posts which allow me to believe that these repos won't change CentOS
> compatibility to RHEL4 or to migrate it another distro for that
> matter!)  My question applies to the ATRpms repo (which has el4 rpms).
> Can I safely use this repo to "yum update" my system?  When I added the
> repo to the yum repos (and to the up2date repos as well), I noticed more
> than 100 packages to be updated (some seem to be system packages like
> alsa-lib, autoconf, glib2, etc.)  Can I update with this repo and
> maintain same basic system and functionality?  Thanks for your answers.

ATrpms will replace several base RPMS ... as to whether or not that is
what you want, that is up to you.

I am normally very careful what RPMS I add to my system that are
external to the CentOS repos.

I do use Dag's repo (usually with a "includepkgs=" set so that I only
update packages that I know about).

I am very careful though, and other people have use Dag, Dries and
ATrpms without problems ... so maybe I am just a little bit too
cautious.