[CentOS] New CD-ROM drive causes kernel panic

Wed Dec 28 03:22:55 UTC 2005
Alfred von Campe <alfred at 110.net>

On Dec 27, 2005, at 18:09, Alfred von Campe wrote:

> Any ideas how I can work around this?  I've booted from the CentOS
> 4.2 CD #1 into rescue mode, but I don't know what I should look for
> next.  Other than removing the CD-ROM drive, what can I do to fix
> this problem?

I'll answer (well, update) my own post.  Removing the CD-ROM drive
definitely fixes the problem.  So, is this CD-ROM drive just not
compatible with my motherboard?  If so, is there a way to make it
compatible (i.e., some jumper settings)?  If more details are needed,
I can disconnect the computer again, remove it from under the desk
(not an easy place to get to), and get the motherboard and CD-ROM
drive details.  I really want to get this to work.  For now, I can
live without the CD-ROM.  If I need to go an buy a new (compatible)
CD-ROM drive, that's OK.  I just need to know what I'm looking for.

Thanks,
Alfred