[CentOS] New CD-ROM drive causes kernel panic

Wed Dec 28 03:56:00 UTC 2005
Bryan J. Smith <thebs413 at earthlink.net>

On Wed, 2005-12-28 at 01:35 -0200, Rodrigo Barbosa wrote:
> You might want to first check your BIOS settings for the CDROM drive,
> and then the data cable. I really don't think there is such a thing
> as an incompatible CDROM, but I have seen some BIOS settings making
> CDROM drives behave weirdly.

Don't forget you can completely _disable_ the sucker in the BIOS.  Yeah,
you can't boot from it, but you only need that during an install.

In fact, I keep some old Promise Ultra33 PCI cards around, with the BIOS
DIP package yanked off, explicitly for problematic CD-ROMs that have
issues during the POST or early in the on-chipset support.

Bryan J. Smith   mailto:b.j.smith at ieee.org
http://thebs413.blogspot.com
Some things (or athletes) money can't buy.
For everything else there's "ManningCard."