[CentOS] App add/delete and changing from CD install to LAN

Wed Dec 28 15:20:35 UTC 2005

On Wed, 2005-12-28 at 10:09 -0500, Robert Moskowitz wrote:
> At 09:56 AM 12/28/2005, Johnny Hughes wrote:
>
> >Sorry to double post, but this is important :)
>
> Now you tell me <:-|
>

> >http://mirror.centos.org/centos/4/docs/html/yum/sn-software-management-tools.html
> >
> >The above link discusses the "Add/Remove Packages" software (known as
> >system-config-packages).  That package is included so that if you are
> >doing an install off off the ISOs and will NOT EVER be updating the
> >install (not a good idea if it is connected to the internet), then you
> >can use system-config-packages to install more software.
> >
> >Here is the note:
> >
> >The system-config-packages utility can ONLY be used if you do not update
> >any packages and install only from the CD/DVD. This utility will fail if
> >updates have been done.
>
> Well, I KNOW that I updated system z9m9z with yum update, then came
> back and added BIND (which I left off in the initial install).
>
> But it DID fail on system Port3890 when trying to add Thunderbird and
> a few other odds and ends.
>
> I did just install Thunderbird with:  yum install thunderbird
>
> I will have to figure out what else I had decided add and do that via yum.

BTW, I know not having a GUI installer is a PITA ...

We are looking at some yum GUI front ends like yumex (which seems to be
the best we have checked so far).  The only problem I have with yumex so
far is that it doesn't work with the yum plugins (at least it did not
work with protectbase).

The above linked guide will get you using "yum provides", "yum info
xxxxx", "yum search xxxxx" and "yum list xxxxx" so that not having a GUI
is at least bearable.