[CentOS] Multiple program instances or multiple log ins?

Wed Dec 28 17:04:03 UTC 2005
Les Mikesell <lesmikesell at gmail.com>

On Wed, 2005-12-28 at 00:47, Robert Moskowitz wrote:

> > > This is another thing I am looking at.  But I would have to be logged
> > > into all of them pretty much at once.
> > >
> > > Un*x has always supported this.  But gnome seems to be weak on this.
> >
> >You can use the same approach you'd use for an account on a
> >different machine:
> >  ssh -Y user at locahost programname
> >although you lose a bit of machine efficiency as a tradeoff
> >for not having to deal with special cases.
>
> oh, sneaky.  I WILL have to try that....

I think I'd call it elegant simplicity instead of sneaky.  Long
ago there was a lot of discussion of the concept of
'orthgonality' in unix tools, with the idea being that
things should work the same way regardless of context
so that learning them once will serve you in many
circumstances.  (For example if you understand vi, you'll note
that there are only a couple of exceptions to the 'count, range,
action' scheme of commands - where count and range are optional).
That idea seems to have gotten lost in the GUI flavor-of-the-day
world where everyone thinks their context-sensitive system is
better than anything else and you should forget everything you
knew last week and learn a million special cases instead.

--
  Les Mikesell
    lesmikesell at gmail.com