[CentOS] Opteron, Athlon/64, and disaster recovery

Wed Dec 28 22:21:08 UTC 2005
Benjamin Smith <lists at benjamindsmith.com>

What it comes down to is this: so far, all the servers I've been administering
have been 32-bit P3/P4/Athlon alikes, so if a server died and we needed it up
NOW we could go to a local computer store here in smalltown USA, buy some
desktop machine, swap harddrives, press enter a few times while kudzu does
its thing, and have a working machine.

Now, we're moving to Opteron-based servers, and I just was wondering if it's
reasonable to expect that, in a worst-case scenario, we could get an
Athlon/64 system locally, and have it work, even if not optimally.

Obviously, the Opteron is better and faster, but if the Athlon 64 will run
CentOS X86/64, then I can be pretty certain that in the worst case, I can run
to the local Performance Leet g4m3rz store, and get an Athlon/64 to get a
needed database server back online.

Just checking the accuracy of the data behind my decisions. (I've turned down
Xeon servers for this reason)

-Ben

http://thebs413.blogspot.com/2005/10/what-is-x86-64-long-mode-memory-model.html

b.j.smith at ieee.org      http://thebs413.blogspot.com